Nephrology concerns itself with the diagnosis of kidney disease and its treatment, including kidney dialysis. Nephrologists also follow up on kidney transplant patients. Additionally, most nephrologists are experts in the care of patients with electrolyte disorders and hypertension.
Patients are referred to nephrology specialists for various reasons, such as:
- Acute and chronic kidney failure
- Hematuria, the loss of blood in the urine
- Proteinuria, the loss of protein in the urine
- Kidney stones
- Cancer of the kidney
- Chronic or recurrent urinary tract infections
- Hypertension that has failed to respond to multiple forms of anti-hypertensive medication or could have a secondary cause
- Electrolyte disorders or acid/base imbalance
For referral to a DMC Sinai-Grace nephrologist, call 313-966-4800.