The Sinai-Grace Diabetes During Pregnancy class is for expectant mothers with Type 1, Type 2 or gestational diabetes. This one-day class provides information on managing blood sugars during pregnancy.
About the class
- Attendees may bring a family member or friend to class. No children, please.
- Class times vary. To attend the class, you must first speak with a Sinai-Grace diabetes educator by calling 313-966-4675.
Note: You should contact your insurance company to verify coverage for diabetes education during pregnancy. Most managed care providers require an insurance referral and/or authorization to qualify for coverage. Without the approval, you will be billed for the cost of the class.
Topics covered in the class include:
- Meal planning with a registered dietitian to meet the nutritional needs of both the mother and the developing baby
- Blood glucose monitoring instruction
- Education about diabetes, maternal and fetal concerns, pre-natal testing, and what to expect at delivery
- Recommended behavior changes to eliminate or delay the onset of diabetes in the future
Recommendations before coming to class
Once you are registered for the Diabetes During Pregnancy class, you should follow these recommendations:
- Avoid eating all simple sugars, such as cake, candy, regular pop, ice cream, pie, cookies, fruit juice, honey, syrup and sugar.
- Eat at least three meals evenly spaced throughout the day, plus an evening snack.
- Dress casually and comfortably for class.
The Sinai-Grace Diabetes During Pregnancy Class is held at:
DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Professional Office Building, Suite 329
6001 West Outer Drive
Detroit, MI 48235
For more information about the Sinai-Grace Diabetes During Pregnancy Program or to register, call 313-966-3150. For information about making an appointment with a Sinai-Grace diabetes educator, visit our Diabetes Appointment Scheduling page.